Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Local by Oamthong Thai Restaurant

Last day of my long weekend then I'm back to work for 6 days straight.
I WILL SURVIVE!

Being out of place for a week, there is a lot of uncertainty occupying my thoughts...
I'M UNSURE.

Anyhow, I tried a new Thai Restaurant today.. Authentic one, of course.

THE LOCAL BY OAMTHONG is located 400 m in Sukhumvit 23.
The restaurant aims to preserve Thai's culinary heritage by using local Thai's ancient recipes, which some of the Thais do not even know. I, myself, didn't know quite a few of the menus on the list.


Front view: Restaurant seems a little quiet during lunch. 

Walk inside and you'll see an amazing decor. Very Thai indeed. There's even a little silk shop called Naj collections. 

 

Take a look at the menu. Most of the recommendations are indeed very rare. I'm sure you won't find it anywhere else. Price is a bit high comparing to portion served. I would say I was a bit disappointed. Portion is too small...I wonder how foreigners take it. 


Kaffir Lime Iced Tea (110 THB) - Like I said, too overpriced but I can't argue when it comes to taste. Special sweet aroma of Kaffir Lime. Unforgettable.


I can't even recall the name of this dish! Some rare vegetable from the South stir-fried with egg. There's a LOT of HUGE garlic in there...I hate the garlic part...This is great for vegetarian and anyone who loves garlic.. (sorry, not me)


Stir-Fried Stinky Bean (Sator) with Shrimp (250 THB).  No foreigner would even think of this dish. This is one of the many famous Thai menus for we Thais.  Overpriced for just 3 shrimps...Tastes OK. 

Stewed Pork with Special Sauce (250 THB) - I like this dish the most, basically because it tastes like what my mom used to cook me. I wouldn't consider this an ancient Thai recipe. This is more Chinese to me. My favorite!


All in all, this is a very good restaurant. I would recommend to anyone trying Thai food for the first time. The taste might not suit someone like me... I mean I'm a Thai living in Thailand for 25 years, of course I know a good place to go for a much lower price. 

I'll be happy to recommend you. Just ask!

THE LOCAL 32-32/1 Sukumvit 23, Klong Toey Nue,
Wattana, Bangkok, Thailand 10110
Call: +66 (0)2 664 0664 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment