Friday, February 17, 2012

Native or Non-Native English Speaking Teacher ??

I live in Bangkok, Thailand, a country of freedom where anyone in the world are free to start any kind of business you can imagine- yes, by that I mean both legal and illegal. It is a country of smile and expressions. A country of tourism. A country of I have to be the first in everything. I'm sure you might have already detected my sarcastic sound, well hey I speak the truth.

I have just begun to get back to teaching once again. Starting back up wasn't something easy. There's a lot of marketing to do- posting online and try to sell your best quality as a teacher. Sound easy? Noooope, it was difficult as hell. My frustration began from the very point I wondered into different forum with posts like "Cheap English lesson by native speaker...blah, blah, blah" I swear there must be more than a thousand posts. I started to look for English school for a bit, just to see if I am qualified to apply. Guess what I saw.... "Native speaker ONLY" Guess what happened to me... more frustrated at this point.

Thai parents seem to like hiring native English speaking teachers to teach their kids at home too, while it takes aaaaaaaaa-ges for me trying to convince them that hey I'm a Thai but I am capable of teacher no less than those natives without teaching degrees out there... Sad life, eh? No offense to anyone though. I'm sure there are many good teachers out there both foreign and local. I myself have had a few good teachers too.

It's going to be very interesting if I started a thread asking for people's view of having a native teacher. I'll see what I get and will update some answers in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment